How to make an FOI request

The Freedom of Information Act 2000 grants a right of access to information held by public authorities. It promotes openness and accountability among public sector organisations so that everyone can understand how authorities make decisions, carry out their duties and spend public money.

Under the Freedom of Information Act 2000, you have the right to:

  • Be told whether we hold a record of the information you have requested;
  • Have the information disclosed to you if we hold it. Unless it is covered by one of the exemptions in the Act;
  • Receive reasonable advice and assistance in making the request.

These rights are subject to the limitations and exemptions imposed by the Act and other legislation. Many limitations and exemptions only apply if it is not in the public interest for the information to be disclosed. Information disclosed may be subject to copyright or other restrictions on re-use. There is further guidance available on how to request information from a public body on the Information Commissioner’s Website.

Before you submit a request, please make sure you have checked our Freedom of Information Publication Scheme.

If you are requesting personal data, you will need to submit a Data Subject Access Request which will be processed under the Data Protection Act 2018.

In order for us to ensure your application is dealt with promptly you must provide:

  • Your name and address so we can respond to your request;
  • A clear and understandable written request;
  • An indication about the form in which you would like the information.

You can make a request for information in the following ways:

Email us:

Write to us at: Cardiff Capital, Region, FOI Team, Sbarc|Spark, Maindy Road, Cardiff, CF24 4HQ

The South East Wales CJC is obliged to disclose the information you request within 20 working days unless a fees notice is applicable or we require a reasonable extension of time to consider a public interest test.

You have the right to request an internal review of our decision and if you are still not satisfied, to complain to the Information Commissioner.

Skip to content