Metro Plus: Caerphilly Interchange
What is the project about?
A £50 million programme of schemes has been developed (Metro Plus Regional Transport Authority (RTA) Programme), which will support the implementation of the South Wales Metro.
The Metro Plus RTA Programme will see each Local Authority within South East Wales receive a £3million share to implement a scheme. Funding is being provided from Welsh Government (£15million) and from the Cardiff Capital Region City Deal (CCRCD) (£15million) to implement this programme, with a further £20m being funded by Local Authority and private investment.
The specific Metro Plus project is for the provision of a new transport interchange for Caerphilly, on the site of the current bus and rail stations. The interchange will include high quality passenger facilities including electronic information, EV charging for buses and a larger park and ride facility. However this project is part of a much larger regeneration programme for the area which is seeking to deliver:-
- A renowned tourist destination that fully exploits the presence of Caerphilly Castle to provide a unique visitor experience that people want to revisit.
- A connected town with a modern transport interchange that provides a landmark entrance to the town, connects the town to the wider region and provides a base from which to actively explore the surrounding landscape
- A business destination with a landmark economic hub at the transport interchange, a bespoke development corridor that connects the interchange with a consolidated Caerphilly
Business Park, and a series of flexible workspaces in the town centre.
- A great place to live with an excellent environment for existing and new residents that is based on a choice of new homes, accessible workspaces, and diverse leisure choices.
- A leisure town that provides a varied retail and leisure offer that satisfies everyday requirements, but also includes bespoke products and great food and refreshments day and night.
- Inclusive and engaging public realm a town with a network of unique green streets and spaces that optimise views of the Castle, provide space for outdoor activity and are safe and accessible.
Investment and leverage
The CCRCD and WG will each invest development funding into this project to develop the scheme to a stage that is necessary to attract additional funding from such wider programmes.
Expected benefits and outcomes
The benefits will be inextricably linked with the benefits of the wider regeneration programme. Specifically the Metro Plus project will involve
- The provision of a new transport interchange for Caerphilly, on the site of the current bus and rail stations. It will include
- High quality passenger facilities including electronic information,
- EV charging for buses
- A larger park and ride facility
- The development will also consider the wider business and green technology hub opportunities
The initial deliverables are development plans that will facilitate the attraction of wider investment to deliver the overall regeneration programme.
Key partners and people involved
The following organisations are partners in the project: